All about me.

My photo
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Hi All! I am a born and raised Canadian that is currently living a European life. I decided the best way to appreciate Canada was to escape it for awhile and see what other countries have to offer. I spent a year in Dublin and currently reside in Amsterdam. The plan is to live in Amsterdam for the next few years while I complete my Master's in Instructional Design and Technology. I look forward to blogging about my experiences as I begin to get closer to developing my Instructional Design skills and potentially gaining experience in this field. My goal is to complete my program and begin to develop and deliver training programs.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Perceptions of Online Learning

Online learning is the future of education, training and knowledge transfer. I realize this is a pretty bold statement however, I believe distance learning will continue to grow in the next 5-10 and even 10-20 years. With the use of computers, the internet and mobile phones increasing all over the world we definitely see how education and knowledge will continue to be passed through these means. As Dr. Siemens states this week in our Media program, there is growing acceptance of online learning. This is being fueled by increased online communication, new communications technologies and growing comfort with online discourse. (Siemens G, 2011)

I envision more campus Universities will have blended learning applications so that students have an online portal for discussion and to submit assignments. The same will apply for high school students the online requirements I believe will continue to grow so students are able to do more work online. Kids today growing up not knowing live without computers and the internet so learning online will be easy for them as they will be using computers from day one that they are able to click the on button. On a workplace training level, distance learning will become the norm. I believe more and more companies will outsource their training requirements to instructional designers so that training can be completed at a worker’s desk or at home. This will make it easier for the organization as it will be less logistics and more cost effective.

Currently, the field of instructional design is still unknown as many people have never heard of it or know what it involves. I believe when more people understand and know about instructional design than, the understanding and perceptions of distance learning will change. When more people understand the process and those individuals involve I believe that will help to clear up the stigmas and stereotypes that some people, some companies and some countries have about distance learning. On a personal level as an instructional designer I hope to improve societal perceptions with ensuring what I create and develop will be of excellent quality. With the internet it is very easy for someone to look up your work and see the quality you create. So I will ensure that that work I am developing makes me happy to put my name on.

Our course project this module really made me realize how likely it is that organizations will continue to train their employees using distance learning and online training tools as this is more cost effective and easier to organize for an organization. When I discussed this module with anyone many people were fascinated with the idea of our corporate training going online. At the moment whenever someone asks me what I am studying or what my project work is I always have something positive to say and am essentially educating the person on instructional design. I am a positive force as I am informing anyone I speak to about my program and what it involves. It definitely will have a snowball effect as anybody I have informed about the field of instructional design could then pass the information to others.

However, with knowing the positives of Instructional Design I also see the skeptics and negatives opinions out there about distance learning. As an advocate for instructional design I also can see how many are completely ignorant to the process, to what a good distance learning program is and thus who are the ‘good’ distance educators out there. Unfortunately, there are definitely many countries and organizations that still do not accept online learning as they do not see it as a real program. They feel that online programs are fake or do not compare to a traditional classroom learning experiences. I am hoping what Dr. Siemens said will hold true that the more we interact and connect with those all over the world, the more there will be an acceptance of distance education. (Siemens, George, 2011) I believe as long as governments recognize the credibility of an Online learning program than the public will feel confident and accept it.

No comments:

Post a Comment