All about me.

My photo
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Hi All! I am a born and raised Canadian that is currently living a European life. I decided the best way to appreciate Canada was to escape it for awhile and see what other countries have to offer. I spent a year in Dublin and currently reside in Amsterdam. The plan is to live in Amsterdam for the next few years while I complete my Master's in Instructional Design and Technology. I look forward to blogging about my experiences as I begin to get closer to developing my Instructional Design skills and potentially gaining experience in this field. My goal is to complete my program and begin to develop and deliver training programs.

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Distance Learning -Is It The Future of Education?

In my opinion distance learning is learning that takes place in your own environment and for the most part is an independent learning experience than with a typical on campus or in classroom learning experiences. Before starting this program with Walden, I looked at distance learning differently as my only experience of distance learning was with a correspondence course when I was trying to make up a University credit. This was not an effective learning experience for me as it was self-taught and self-paced so I really struggled to enjoy the material and learn the requirements. At that time online learning was rare so my course consisted of reviewing a textbook, answering questions and a final written exam. It’s been almost five years since I took that class and we have come a long way with how we view distance education.

This week I began a module on distance learning. This week I learned many definitions for how distance learning can be defined. The common threat among these was that distance education means a separation of student and teacher. (Simonson, Smaldino, Albright & Zvacek, 2009). As an instructional designer this is definitely something that must be a realized in order to ensure directions, material and information is presented so the learner can complete their learning experience without immediately requiring an instructor. I did not learn too many new things this week about distance learning because I have been a distance learner for over a year now and work for an online university. These experiences have shaped my opinion and current definition on distance learning.

Before working and studying for an Online University I did not realize how distance learning brings people from all over the world together and allows us to connect collectively to broaden our learning experiences. I had more of an impression that online learners shared experiences but I did not really realize the impact of an international online classroom can shape your experience.

In my current role our whole business is built around distance learning. I work for an online University and currently am helping to review online classrooms before they launch and monitor online classrooms once they have gone “live”. Being a distance learning student while working for the same industry has given me excellent perspective for both roles. For my job I understand the quality we need to ensure we deliver for a student and as a student I know what quality should be available to me and what is possible in my learning environment. The one difference is in my work our University has more of an international demographic so this changes the design and capabilities of our online classroom as we need to ensure as many students as possible have the required components to be an online student.

It will be interesting to see where distance education is five years from now as already the online education environment is quite different from where I imagined education to go. In the Media program this week Dr Michael Simonson said he felt that education will grow significantly but will not replace traditional schools. (Laureate Online Education, 2010). I think he is wrong in some ways as for many their education will not be in a tradition school system. I believe more and more people are home schooling their children and online learning platforms help to ensure their children are learning the right curriculum. Also, I think many cannot afford to be a full-time student so they will be able to study online while still working. I believe there will be a rise in students completing their post-secondary education online.

References

Simonson, M., Smaldino, S., Albright, M., & Zvacek, S. (2009). Teaching and learning at a distance: Foundations of distance education (4th ed.) Boston, MA: Pearson.

“Distance Education: The Next Generation” Laureate Online Education, 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment